Many people think the term “estate planning” refers only to the distribution of assets after death. That’s part of it, of course, but a properly-designed plan will also address important issues during one’s lifetime, including end-of-life situations, and culminates in passing assets on to future generations.
Your estate plan can ensure that a person of your choosing has the authority to make financial and medical decisions on your behalf if you become incapacitated. If you don’t have a plan, someone may have to petition the court to get control of your medical care and assets. This could be a person you would not want making important decisions for you. Worse, the court processes involved, known as guardianship and conservatorship, are frustrating, time-consuming, and expensive. Having an estate plan in place can enable you and your loved ones to avoid these hurdles.
Depending on your particular goals and needs, we can work with you to design a plan that will help you accomplish much more, including:
- Ensure your minor children are raised according to your wishes if something terrible happens to you and your spouse
- Give you complete control over your assets while you are alive and delegate control to your hand-picked substitute decision-makers if you become incapacitated
- Leave “what you want, to whom you want, the way you want”
- Protect your assets against lawsuits, creditors, taxes, nursing home expenses, and other threats
- Pass your values and sense of responsibility on to your loved ones
- Keep information about your family and finances private
- Protect your beneficiaries’ inheritances
- Leave an enduring legacy
We will work closely with you to achieve goals like these and many more. We can also collaborate with your CPA, insurance representative, financial planner, and other key advisors to ensure your needs and wishes are addressed.
Ultimately, your plan will help you enjoy the peace of mind that comes from knowing that you, your loved ones, and your assets are protected.
Contact us today to attend an Est8Planning Essentials workshop and discover how a carefully crafted estate plan can advance your particular needs and goals.